Friday, May 4, 2012

More adventures in the bakery

I have been using "Big Bertha" as she is called here in the Bakery at Jacob Lake Inn. I believe she is 20 gallons... but that's just an estimate. We make just about everything in her... Bread, Rolls, Hamburger Buns, and of course, cookies. 8 pounds of butter is the average for every batch... and a whole flat of eggs...


So far we make, Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Parfait, Gingersnap, Peanut butter Chocolate Chip, and Cookie in a Cloud (a chocolate cookie with marshmallow, and topped with chocolate icing). I also make about 12 loaves of bread every other day, and about 7 dozen hamburger buns every other day as well. Pies, well we have peach, cherry, blueberry, and apple. I make about one or two of each every day!... So far I am loving the bakery. It is tiring as I work like 9am-5pm and I take about a 30 min break for lunch.( on a busy day) on slower days, I take smaller breaks throughout. I am done when all my work is done, and the floor is swept and mopped. So far, my love for baking has remained the same, it is just hard being the only... so it is tiring, but that's it, I still love it! The forest around us is great, and the other night after watching "War Horse" (AN AMAZING MOVIE!), I saw 8 doe while walking back to my dorm. It was neat!

We will see how things go when it picks up on May 15th, when the North Rim of the Grand Canyon opens! Hopefully its not too crazy! I know it will be because we are completely full (hotel, motel and cabins) for the entire month of May starting may 15th!


2 comments:

David said...

Good for you Tyler! I am so happy for you and you should be proud of yourself. You've always had a love for cooking and it seems like you're getting the hang of working as part of the kitchen staff. And from the sound of the setting it looks like the trees and animals provide some nice stress relief from the busy day!

Michaela said...

Tyler!! I was so happy to read these little updates on your life! I was going to give you a call today. I'll have to sometime soon to catch up. If you have time!! Sounds like you're busy! Miss you!