Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tyler's Chocolate Pie... from "The Help"


So I went and saw the movie "The Help". It was such a great movie! I love it! I was inspired by the chocolate pie that was on there. I had never seen a baked chocolate pie before. I have only seen like pudding pies. Now those of you who have seen it... no, I didn't put the "special ingredient" in it.

I searched a lot for a recipe online. I also read reviews of others and even posted it on my bread forum called The Fresh Loaf that I am a part of. I chose two recipes. They were similar. One with 2 eggs and one with 3 eggs. I chose the 3 egg one and didn't like its texture... too eggy. So I created my own sort of combining the two recipes. I wanted a with to feel like it was inbetween a pudding and a brownie. I got it! Two eggs was the trick! (and I got it on my second attempt!) It was delicious!



The picture I have has it topped with a meringue just because eggs were cheaper than cream. But it is better with whipped cream! Any ways... I broke it down (hopefully I did the math right) but it only cost me $2.50 to make this pie (minus the cream). Cheap and delicious, my two favorite words together!

2 comments:

Brian and Ali Childs said...

well geeze tyler! if you are going to show us something as delish as that we are going to need a recipe!

Tyler said...

ok here it is....

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Mix sugar, butter till creamy. add eggs. add flour and cocoa. add in the rest of the ingredients.

Pour in a partially baked pie shell and bake about 25-30 min at 350 (you still want it to be a little jiggly in the)

Top with whipped cream or meringue